sucrose pretreatment for frozen sections

Kalman Rubinson rubinsnk at is2.nyu.edu
Wed Aug 23 20:29:10 EST 1995

Christine McGregor (af826 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:
: I usually soak formalin-fixed rat brains in 20 % sucrose solution for 24 hours
:  prior to frozen-sectioning. Can anyone tell me if there is an upper limit to
:  the time the brain can be left soaking...will the formalin fix leach out as
: it does in water? Will there be a loss of morphological detail or artefact
: from microbes? I am wondering about the effect of a week or two.(refrigerated,
: of course).

I've kept blocks in sucrose for weeks (refrigerated) with no problems.

Kal