Andrew K. Groves grovesa at
Sat Aug 26 12:29:34 EST 1995

In article <Pine.NEB.3.91.950826042333.12779A-100000 at>, Mark
Gold <mgold at> wrote:

> In 1992, an independent researcher, Camfield (Neurology;42:1000),
> showed that children with a history of seizures who ingested a single
> dose of aspartame had abnormal EEG spike waves.

So why is this single dose study more valid than the other single dose
studies that you rubbish?

> I disagree.  I believe that the most important key is to distinguish
> between the industry studies which are almost always flawed to the point
> of being worthless and the independent studies which usually show
> adverse reactions caused by aspartame.  And whatever you do, watch
> out for the industry "reviews" which are just one convincing-sounding
> mis-statement after another.

Just out of interest, how can one tell whether a study is an 'industry
study' or not?

Andy Groves
Division of Biology, 216-76
California Institute of Technology