bionet.neuroscience.not.aspartame

Andrew K. Groves grovesa at starbase1.caltech.edu
Sun Aug 27 14:40:06 EST 1995

In article <Pine.NEB.3.91.950826161514.21382A-100000 at max.tiac.net>, Mark
Gold <mgold at max.tiac.net> wrote:

> A few thoughts on a quality independent study:

I agree with your thoughts here, with one or two modifiers as shown below.

> 1.  Start by testing a vulnerable population (e.g., Patients with
>     chronic depression).

It would be interesting to compare a cohort of vulnerable patients with a
similar number on non-vulnerable ones.

> 2.  Use real-world aspartame-containing products, especially diet
>     sodas (ingested in between meals).  This way the subjects will be
>     getting a significant amount of beta-aspartame, racimized amino
>     acids, and DKP (linked to brain tumors), and other "good stuff" along
>     with the methanol, phenylalanine, and aspartic acid.  Products
>     should be purchased from the store and *not* from NutraSweet.

It would also be interesting to compare the effects of aspartame alone
with the effects of the 'cocktail' you describe.

--
Andy Groves
Division of Biology, 216-76