bionet.neuroscience.not.aspartame

Betty Martini betty at noel.pd.org
Sun Aug 27 18:57:45 EST 1995

Dear Doctor Bleck:

I have now spoken to Dr. Roberts and he has faxed me an answer to your
question about methanol toxicity from aspartame mimicing MS.

TO:  Thomas P. Bleck, M.D.
cc:  Andrew K. Groves & Stephen Matheson, and other inquiries

FROM:  H. J. Roberts, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.C.C.P.

SUBJECT:  MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS CORRESPONDENCE WITH BETTY MARTINI

Betty has asked me to reply to your valid comments and those of several
other persons with related questions.

I should first indicate that I am a Board-Certified Internist, a member
of the American Academy of Neurology and a member of the Endocrine
Society.  I have written on MS for nearly four decades - including a
chapter in my first text (DIFFICULT DIAGNOSIS; A GUIDE TO THE
INTERPRETATION OF OBSCURE DISEASE, W. B. Saunders, 1958), and a number of
prior personal research studies pertaining to the pathogenesis of M.S.
You might be interested in these references.

    	Roberts, H. J.:  The syndrome of narcolepsy and diabetogenic
	     	("functional") hyperinsulinism, with special reference
		to obesity, diabetes, idiopathic edema, cerebral
		dysrhythmias, and multiple sclerosis (200 patients).
		Journal of the American Geriatric Society 1964: 12:926-976

	Roberts, H. J.:  On the etiology, rational treatment and prevention
		of multiple sclerosis:  Southern Medical Journal 1966:
		59:940-950

	Roberts, H. J.:  An inquiry into the pathogenesis, rational treatment
		and prevention of multiple sclerosis, with emphasis upon the
		combined role of diabetogenic hyperinsulinism and recurrent
                edema.  Journal of the American Geriatric Society 1966:
		14:586-608

Allow me to make several points.  First, I have not said that aspartame
products cause Ms rather though they indeed might aggravate or accelerate
the disease.  A number of patients in my series of nearly 650 aspartame
reactors were incorrectly diagnosed as having MS on the basis of their
various neurological and eye complaints.  The following excerpt is germane:

	"The frequency with which an erroneous diagnosis of multiple sclerosis
	was made in aspartame reactors deserves special attention.  This is
	particularly true among weight-conscious young women who develop
	visual and neurologic problems while consuming considerable amounts
	of aspartame products.  In my opinion, this diagnosis ought be
	deferred at least several months after abstinence from aspartame
	to enable sufficient observation for spontaneous recovery."

		From:  Roberts, H.J.:  ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET@): IS IT
		SAFE? Philadelphia: The Charles Press, 1989, p.p. 109-110

Second, I have reviewed the neurotoxicity of aspartame and its components or
derivatives in these three texts and a recently-released 2-cassette set on
Aspartame Disease.  It is not solely a matter of methanol intoxication.

	Roberts, H.J.:  ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET@) IS IT SAFE?  Philadelphia,
        The Charles Press, 1989

	Roberts, H. J.:  SWEET'NER DEAREST:  BITTERSWEET VIGNETTES ABOUT
	ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET@), West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press,
        Inc. 1992 (P. O. Box 17799, West Palm Beach, Fla. 33416, FAX
        (407) 832-2400)

	Roberts, H.J.:  DEFENSE AGAINST ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE:  A RATIONAL
        BLUEPRINT FOR PREVENTION.  West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press,
	Inc., 1995.

	Roberts, H.J.:  IS ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET@) SAFE?  A MEDICAL PUBLIC
 	HEALTH AND LEGAL OVERVIEW - 1995.  Sunshine Sentinel Press, Inc.

Third, I fully appreciate the matter of double-blind, randomized trials,
having headed a research institution since l964.  The problems with most
such published studies on aspartame are the flawed protocols. I have reviewed
this issue at great length in the foregoing references - including some
disturbing details that qualify as "sciencegate".

Fourth, at this point, I would consider it unethical on my part to attempt
to provoke an attack on someone under my care who is in a remission of MS
by administering "real world" aspartame products.  (You will probably
disagree.)

Fifth, the subjects of hypoglycemia, insulin in the brain and CSF, the
blood-brain barrier, experimental allergic encephalomyeletic (EAE), etc.
have been raised.  They are relevant, but would require at least a 2-hour
lecture.

A few comments:

	*EAR is an experimental model, but quite different from MS in
	humans.

	*Insulin receptors are widely, but unevenly, distributed throughout
	the (rat) central nervous system, being highest in the hypothalmus.

	*Insulin is present in concentrations between 10 and 100 times that
	found in (rat) plasma.

	*Brain glucose metabolism is largely insulin independent, but
	obviously severely affected by cerebral glucopenia but details
	can be found in any physiology text.  More insights about glucose
	transport and diffusion in the brain are reviewed in my
	Alzheimer's book.

	*Insulin stimulates DNA, RNA and protein synthesis in fetal rat brain
	cells.

	*Intracisternal insulin increases arterial insulin levels, with a
	decrease of plasma glucose-probably through a vagal mechanism.

	*CSF insulin concentrations increase during intravenous insulin
	infusions, and after an oral glucose load, perhaps by direct
	transfer across brain capillary endothelial cells in the choroid
	plexus.

Finally, both amino acids of aspartame stimulate the release of insulin,
as described in my books and multiple papers.

I welcome your comment and criticisms.

                                 H. J. Roberts, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.C.C.P.

Dr. Bleck:  With regard to your comments about multiple sclerosis not
escalating, I wonder where you got your information.  The last time I
called the National Multiple Sclerosis Society here in Atlanta they told
me they don't record figures and they estimate there are about 500,000
cases in the U.S.  Keep in mind it depends on who you end up talking to.
Yesterday when I called Crystal told me she thought maybe it was 400,000.
I asked if they had any records of an earlier date.  After 30 minutes of
her guesses I asked if she could fax me any material.  She sent me a
report titled REVISED ESTIMATE OF THE PREVALENCE OF MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS IN
THE UNITED STATES, Anderson, Ellenberg, Leventhal, Reingold, Rodrigues,
Siiberberg, American Neurological Association 1992.

According to this there were about 123,000 persons in 1976.  It says: "It is
estimated that approximately 250,000 to 350,000 persons in the United
States in 1990 had physician diagnosed multiple sclerosis.

Finally, Crystal told me that here in Georgia they had started tracking
3 years ago.  "Finally", I said, "we're getting somewhere - how many