ADD and Ritalin

Fernando Boix fboix at pons.uio.no
Mon Aug 28 14:47:16 EST 1995

Andrew Ray <aray at emory.edu> wrote:

>I don't know if anyone actually knows exactly.  One theory I've heard is that
>GABAergic transmission is lower than it should be in certain areas.  Ritalin,
>according to this theory, is supposed to stimulate GABA transmission.  This
>results in a net inhibitory effect, and is supposed to be why Ritalin reduces
>the hyperactivity and increases ability to concentrate.  I don't know if the
>theory has much evidence for or against it (I've seen a few studies advancing
>the theory, but I didn't really look at them in depth), nor do I know of other
>theories that are out there.  It's not really my specialty, but maybe this can
>give you a jumping off point for further research.  Good luck.

>Andrew Ray
>Emory University Neuroscience Program

Methylphenidate, the active compound of Ritalin, is a potent dopamine
uptake blocker, like cocaine, increasing the concentration of this
neurotransmitter in the synaptic cleft and increasing, therefoere, the
dopaminergic neurotransmission. Amphetamine, which is also used in
ADD-ADHD, also increases dopamine neurotransmission but in another way
(not very good known but it seems it increase dopamine release by
reversing the uptake mechanisms).
--
Fernando Boix Escolan
Dept. of Neurophysiology