bionet.neuroscience.not.aspartame

Peter Hood Peter at brentano.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 27 20:32:35 EST 1995

In article: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950827173405.2224A-100000 at noel.pd.org>  you wrote:

> Dear Doctor Bleck:
> I have now spoken to Dr. Roberts and he has faxed me an answer to your
> question about methanol toxicity from aspartame mimicing MS.
> TO:  Thomas P. Bleck, M.D.
> cc:  Andrew K. Groves & Stephen Matheson, and other inquiries
> FROM:  H. J. Roberts, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.C.C.P.
> SUBJECT:  MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS CORRESPONDENCE WITH BETTY MARTINI
> Betty has asked me to reply to your valid comments and those of several
> other persons with related questions.

<snip>

Yes, yes, yes!  Brilliant, Betty.

> Dr. Bleck:  With regard to your comments about multiple sclerosis not
> escalating, I wonder where you got your information.  The last time I
> called the National Multiple Sclerosis Society here in Atlanta they told
> me they don't record figures and they estimate there are about 500,000
> cases in the U.S.  Keep in mind it depends on who you end up talking to.
> Yesterday when I called Crystal told me she thought maybe it was 400,000.
> I asked if they had any records of an earlier date.  After 30 minutes of
> her guesses I asked if she could fax me any material.  She sent me a
> report titled REVISED ESTIMATE OF THE PREVALENCE OF MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS IN
> THE UNITED STATES, Anderson, Ellenberg, Leventhal, Reingold, Rodrigues,
> Siiberberg, American Neurological Association 1992.

<snip>

And again... ...since you mailed me on PD (thank you) you will have noticed
my interested in toxins.  Pyridines and similar structures (paraquat, cyberquat)
appear to have an affinity with substantia nigra tissue, in a roundabout way.

The point is that we have to start looking at chemicals, all chemicals, period.
Neurotoxins, toxins for non neural cells.  We tinker with our foodstuffs and
with chemicals in consumables (such as paint) and in industrial processes,
but no thought appears to be directed at the effects.

If a raw soup of molecules can refine itself into chemical, and thence into
DNA (some say RNA, because it is felt it can exist independently), and ultimately
into humans, then is it ANY surprise that there are chemicals that humans have
synthesised kicking around and damaging nerve tissue?  I think not.  I detected
a political story when I did my neurophysiology thesis/experiment on
Parkinsonism, in respect of weed killers.  I detect in this thread and other related
ones an unwillingness to believe something that is not so incredible.

Since we now know that 'X-rays' are damaging (but were used in health), why
the surprise about aspartame?  Why not everyone get together and test the
hypothesis?  Because of a number of factors 1) vested interests (of course);
2) disbelief; 3) stubbornness.  Only an effective propaganda battle can overcome
these - it seems to me that is what you are doing!

--
Peter