Unethical practices - drug industry

John DeFiore john_de at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 28 21:13:19 EST 1995

In <41tiat$e0i at parsifal.nando.net> "John W. Barron"
<jwbarron at nando.net> writes:

>May I humbly suggest that you go back and do a little history
research?
>Tagamet and H. pylori involvement discovery did not occur at the same
>time.  Is it fair to go back and examine sales, and sales promotion
>practices which pre-dated a significant scientific discovery, which
>even today is not completely accepted by many involved in ulcer
>diagnosis and therapy.

I remember research suggesting a bacterial link 10-15 years ago.

>Also, to my knowledge, Tagamet was never designed or marketed as a
>"cure" for ulcers.  That was to a great extent responsible for the
>constantly growing sales picture.  Every person put on the drug
>remained a constant purchaser.

Right.  All the more reason to want to suppress an effective cure if
the drug companies are really doing that sort of thing.

>BTW, how about market competition?  Didn't Tagamet have a little?
>Did Tagamet remain the most prescribed prescription medication
>after Glaxo began their promotional activity?

Maybe so, but that is beside the point.  Some sales are better than
none.

>It is very easy to point to our pharmaceutical industry and sling
>arrows at its faults.  But, please list for me the drugs that have
>been successfully developed and used in the U.S. which came
>from non-industry sources, such as universities, NIH, etc.
>I would very much like to have such a list.  I think the other
>readers would profit from such information, also.

As I pointed out in my previous post, I am not slinging arrows at
anyone.  I am only throwing a topic out for discussion.  I do NOT think
the drug companies are guilty of anything in this case, but there are
those who do.  I have no evidence of that so I can't say I belive it.
There are those who do, though.   Thanks for your input.........
                                                 John