centiMorgans & physical distance: a question

Teresa Binstock binstoct at essex.UCHSC.edu
Tue Aug 29 09:48:30 EST 1995

     Most descriptions of chromosomal length are based upon the
concept of centiMorgans, a notion derived from rates of
recombination. These descriptions usually do not mention physical
length. However, at least one text provides a statement suggesting
that, regarding human chromosomes, centiMorgan length tends to
correspond to physical length.
       "Thus, one can think of centiMorgans as a rough unit of
distance along the chromosome, although the relation to physical
distance is not truly linear because regions vary somewhat in
recombination potential." p204, Principles of Medical Genetics;
Gelehrter and Collins, 1990.
       I have accumulated approximately 40 articles wherein
chromosome length is reported and wherein male/female length
differences are reported in terms of centiMorgans.
     Is the Gelehrter and Collins quote accurate? In other words,
although not precisely linear, does physical length tend to
correspond to centiMorgan length?

     I would appreciate receiving comments, anecdotes, and citations
that help answer my "centiMorgan versus physical-length" question.

Thank you,

Teresa C. Binstock, Researcher
Developmental & Behavioral Neuroanatomy
B140 The Children's Hospital