bionet.neuroscience.not.aspartame

Betty Martini betty at noel.pd.org
Mon Aug 28 23:30:41 EST 1995

Dear Andy:  You ask me to explain how someone who does have MS who uses
aspartame can escalate his disease.  The answer to that is that aspartame
causes symptoms of MS, so if they already had MS it wouldn't help to take
a drug that causes equilibrium problems, vertigo, joint pain, blindness,
memory loss, etc.  Many times as Dr. Roberts said patients are diagnosed
with MS when in reality that don't have it, but methanol toxicity from
aspartame.  Just this afternoon a woman was telling me a friend read our
warning flyer and seeing that it said aspartame triggers MS (symptoms) she
quit using it because she had MS.  A couple of months later she realized
she could walk again and her vision was coming back, and her other
medical problems had disappeared.  There is a case like this on our auto-
responder.  We see this constantly because we get people off of aspartame.

After the FDA published a list of 10,000 complaints in April, 1995 they
said they were not going to compile any more complaint files.  We've
written Congress about it and I have personally spoken to Newt Gingrich
about it because he lives in my city.  I don't know if there has been a
change in this but for some reason the FDA just put a list of documented
symptoms that occur from aspartame.  They say it is based on 6583 records
and 9781 symptoms.  It is dated August 8, 1995 - THIS MONTH.

Please notice how many of these symptoms they list are neurological, and
are symptoms that multiple sclerosis patients present with, and perhaps
you can understand why people are constantly being diagnosed with MS when
their symptoms are caused by aspartame.  Pay particular attention to how
many people are having seizures even though they separate them into
different types.  Also Dr. Kessler of the FDA said only 1% report serious
problems.

It says that distribution is based on 6583 records and 9781 occurrences
of symptoms.

Headache, dizziness or problems with balance, change in mood quality or
level, vomiting and nausea, abdominal pain and cramps, change in vision,
diarrhea, seizures and convulsions, grand mal seizures, simple partial
seizures, petit mal seizures, memory loss, fatigue, weakness, other
neurological, rash, sleep problems, hives, change in heart rate, itching,
change in sensation (numbness, tingling), local swelling, change in
activity level, difficulty breathing, oral sensory change, change in
menstrual pattern, other skin, other, localized pain and tenderness,
other urogenital, change in body temperature, difficulty swallowing,
other metabolic, joint and bone pain, speech impairment, other
gastrointestinal, chest pain, other musculo-skeletal, fainting, sore
throat, other cardiovascular, change in taste, difficulty with urination,
other respiratory, edema, change in hearing, abdominal swelling, change
in saliva output, change in urine volume, change in perspiration pattern,
eye irritation, unspecified, muscle tremors, change in appetite, change
in body weight, noctural, change in thirst or water intake,
unconsciousness and coma, wheezing, constipation, other extremity pain,
problems with bleeding, unsteady gait, coughing, blood glucose disorders,
blood pressure changes, changes in skin and nail coloration, change in
hair or nails, excessive phleghm production, sinus problems,
hallucinations, lumps present, shortness of breath on exertion, evidence
of blood in stool or vomit, dysmenorrhea, dental problems, change in
smell, death, other blood and lymphatic, eczema, swollen lymph nodes,
hematuria, shortness of breath due to position, difficulties with
pregnancy, (children only) developmental retardation, change in breast
size or tenderness, anemia, change in sexual function, shock,
conjunctivitis, dilating eyes, febrile.

You know, Andy, if there were this many reactions to a drug it would be
removed from the market instantly.  Furthermore, there wouldn't be enough
space in the PDR under Adverse Reactions.  Notice how they stuck death in
there.  Great little sweetener that causes death, hallucinations, coma and
seizures! Barbara Alexander Mullarkey, a journalist in Chicago, once
wrote about the way FDA lists symptoms on aspartame.  It was titled: DEATH;
THE ULTIMATE SYMPTOM!

If you would like instructions to the auto-responder you can read some of
the case histories.

You want to discuss organizations?  I told you to notice the seizures
reported from aspartame, and remember Dr. Kessler said only 1% of serious
problems are recorded.  First of all, in one of the first studies by Dr.
Harry Waisman they studied the effects of aspartame on primates.  Seven
infant monkeys were fed the chemical in milk.  One died after 300 days, 5
others had Grand Mal Seizures!  They kept sacrificing monkeys until they
finally decided to use rats.  The rats just had brain tumors!

Researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology surveyed 80 people
who suffered brain seizures after eating or drinking products with
Aspartame.  The Community Nutrition Institute said: "These 80 cases meets
the FDA's own definition of an imminent hazard to the public health,
which requires the FDA to expeditiously remove a product from the market."

There are so many seizures from aspartame that a Worldwide Pilot Hotline
was set up in Dallas just to take the complaints from pilots.  Today over
700 pilots have called the pilot hotline, many of them because they were
sipping diet soda or drinking coffee with Equal and had grand mal
seizures in the cockpits of commercial airliners.  We constantly get case
histories on people using aspartame that have seizures.  In fact, I have
someone in my own family who was drinking diet soda warm in the
California sun, first she became a manic depressive (phenylalanine in
aspartame breaks down the seizure threshold of the brain and depletes
serotonin).  Then aspartame triggered epileptic seizures.  She had them
constantly because she was always drinking this toxin.  They didn't stop
until I found out about aspartame and told her that was the culprit.

Now you want to talk about organizations.  The Epileptic Foundation
recommends aspartame for epileptics.  Here you have a seizure triggering
drug that triggers epilepsy and they are recommending it for people with
seizures.  In fact, in the Chicago Sun Times on March 3, 1993 is an
article titled:  SKINNER A WINNER ALREADY; EPILEPSY FOUNDATION HONOR.
Yes, the Epilepsy Foundation made Sam Skinner man of the year.  He was
the U.S. Attorney that was told to indict Searle for their "flawed"
studies and instead went to work for Searle's law firm defending the case!

An article appeared in the May/June 1994 Natural Food & Farming titled:
ASPARTAME AND FLYING ...THE UNTOLD STORY.  It was written by Mary Nash
Stoddard and George Leighton.  Mary Stoddard is Founder of the Aspartame
Consumer Safety Network and Worldwide Pilot Hotline.  George Leighton is
a pilot who had a grand mal seizure (drinking a diet shake).  They write
about Sam Skinner:

"The FAA's inaction is very likely politically motivated.  As a General
Aviation News article points out, Samuel Skinner, the boss of the FAA, as
Secretary of Transportation at the time, was formerly employed by
NutraSweet's law firm, and Spotlight, April 6, 1992, revealed that his wife
is presently employed by that firm.  Later, as President Bush's Chief of
Staff, Samuel Skinner was in an even more powerful political position
with direct influence over all government agencies, including the FDA,
the FAA, and your own DOD.  Through his own past employment and his
wife's present employment with NutraSweet's law firm, it would seem that
NutraSweet had a pipeline directly to the top.  It should be noted that
without the 1977 direct intervention of Samuel Skinner (who was then U.S.
Attorney for the Justice Department's Chicago office) and his associates,
a grand jury would most certainly have indicted Searle/NutraSweet
personnel for fraud and criminal behavior in concealing the deadly
effects of the drug Aspartame from the FDA.  The drug would never have
been approved for use as a food additive and I would not be writing this."

And Andy, if Sam Skinner had done his job there would never have been a
Mission Possible, Aspartame Consumer Safety Network and Worldwide Pilot
Hotline, or a previous organization called ASPARTAME VICTIMS AND THEIR
FRIENDS OF THE SOUTH (no longer in existence - Joyce Wilson who ran it
died in 1991 blind, a vegetable from NutraSweet!).

Last summer one of these Epilepsy Organizations gave a lecture here on
seizures.  I gave out packets to the families telling them not to listen
to their endorsement of aspartame and remove this seizure triggering drug
from their diet.  A few weeks later a woman ran into me who was at the
meeting.  Her friend had taken the advice and her seizures had ceased!

If I talk about an organization I talk from research and experience.
James B. Hays, M.D. (Last Address P. O. Box 878, Brownwood, Texas 76894)
is a physician that took care of pilots who had grand mal seizures.  I
have one of his reports titled CLINICAL EXPERIENCE WITH ASPARTAME.
Consider how he writes about a "sweetener"!!!

He's writing about patients using aspartame: "Six people reported malaise
or lack of well being.  Five reported irritability and/or personality
changes.  Five reported indigestion and/or nausea.  Four reported
temporary visual disturbance, blurred vision or black spots.  Four also
reported the vestibular-related symptoms of vertigo or dizziness.  Three
patients reported abdominal pains.  Three reported some memory loss, one
of which described this as a lack of or an inability to recall memory and
one described a persistent losing track of memory in mid-conversation."

"Two people reported paresthesias or numbness and tingling and exhaustive
history taking failed to reveal any hyperventilation syndrome.  Two
reported loss of consciousness and two reported multiple episodes that he
or she was about to loose consciousness but they reported that they could
concentrate harder and "fight it" and could actually avert loss of
consciousness.  One of these actually did lose consciousness on one
occasion, and later after three or four years of ever-increasing dosage
of aspartame had a grand mal seizure."

"One each reported auditory sensitivity, unsteady gait, the inability to
sense the position of feet and hands, a feeling of imminent loss of
control of body, shortness of breath, palpitations, significant weight
gain, depression, insomnia and severe anxiety which was reversible after
cessation of ingestion of aspartame and not related to previous or
subsequent anxiety disorder."

"One patient, the oldest, had pre-existing adult onset diabetes mellitus
and has ha a recent psychotic episode after a long history of psych.
problems.  She reported the fewest number of symptoms. ..Each patient
either accidently, of their own volition or asked by myself, discontinued
the drug and definitely noted cessation or marked abatement of symptoms
and after returning to consume additional NutraSweet  after a definite
one to two weeks abstinence all had marked to severe return of symptoms
within an hour to a few days of exposure."

"It is also suggested strongly that at least in some people, aspartame is
a significant hazard to transportation safety.  Various physicians in
the Federal Aviation Administration are aware of this situation, but they
are bureaucratically linked to the Food and Drug Administration who have
the charge to approve food additives and drugs."   James B. Hays, M.D.

So you see, Andy, the story of NutraSweet is a story of greed and politics.
Perhaps you can understand why Dr. Roberts has asked Newt Gingrich to set
up new Congressional Hearings and remove aspartame from the marketplace
as an imminent health hazard.  Politics have always prevented this from
happening.  Even Joyce Wilson pleaded with Congress before she died.  And
she had all the symptoms of MS, and in the end she was like an
Alzheimer's patient - no memory.  Safe sweeteners do not produce symptoms
like the FDA has listed - but chemical poisons do.  The approval of
aspartame by the FDA is their greatest atrocity, and one day this will be
listed as one of the greatest scandals in U.S. History.

I have posted in neurology because of the neurological symptoms, and any
patient evaluated for neurological disease should first be asked to
abstain from this poison.

Betty Martini
Domain:  betty at pd.org
UUCP:  ...!emory!pd.org!betty