bionet.neuroscience.not.aspartame

Betty Martini betty at noel.pd.org
Tue Aug 29 22:56:50 EST 1995

Dear Andy:  I've spoken with the MS Society on several occasions and
specificly asked them what they do for the MS patient.  All I could ever
get out of them was they give them information.  I discussed the MS
Society with Richard Wilson who lost his wife to NutraSweet.  She had the
MS symptoms you get from NutraSweet (neurological symptoms, loss of
equilibrium, etc.) and he said he asked for their help in alerting people
with MS they should abstain from NutraSweet so what happened to his wife
would not happen to others.  Had she been warned in time her symptoms
were due to NutraSweet they could have saved her.  They refused.  He said
they were only interested in contributions.

I've talked to several people about the MS Society and because I've
always gotten the same answer, I discussed it with Dr. Roberts.  He said
years ago when they had taken in great sums of money they even refused
$2000.00 for research. Since he had looked into where the money went I
asked him to elaborate.  It was like with other organizations.  The
majority of all the money goes to their people.  You can pay high
salaries, great bonuses, and even put your family on staff.

Basically I've been frustrated with them because every time I call I get
a different number when I ask for statistics and they can never tell me
what they do.  Depending on who you talk to, at least in this city, the
figure keeps changing.  My last question to the MS Society was: "Can you
give me any factual number you are sure of that won't be different the
next time I call?"  The answer was "no - we don't really know."

Many organizations are just information centers, but at least if they
give you information that will benefit, its something.  But take the
American Diabetic Assn.  They give out information, too, but that
information can be fatal.  They recommend NutraSweet for diabetics
because they are Monsanto funded.  They REFUSE to publish factual
information like Dr. Roberts abstract of aspartame reactors that was
published in Clinical Research.  The very very dangerous affects of
aspartame on a diabetic is kept from them and their physicians.  The
endocrinologists see these patients and recommend NutraSweet because it
is recommended by the ADA.  I wish you could have seen the look on the
physicians' faces when they looked at the components of aspartame at the
American College of Physicians conference in March.  One said: "We're
recommending to our patients the very substance that is keeping their
diabetes out of control.  How could the ADA do this to us?"  One doctor said:
"I've been a member of the ADA for 30 years - how could they?"  I answered:
"Very easy, doctor, they are funded by Monsanto and they can't take their
money and tell diabetics how dangerous this product is.  Dr. Roberts has
been a member for almost 40 years and they refuse to publish the
information that would save their lives."

This particular physician asked to see more and when I showed him Dr.
Roberts abstract he said: "This was published in Clinical Research and
the ADA wouldn't publish it?"  He just shook his head and walked away.

Many physicians think diabetics are suffering from diabetic retinopathy
when, in reality, they are going blind because the methanol converts to
formaldehyde in the retina of the eye (Aspartame:  Methanol and the
Public Health, Dr. Woodrow Monte, Journal of Applied Nutrition, Volume
36, number 1, 1984).  When the methanol converts to formaldehyde and then
formic acid the patient gets metabolic acidosis.  Even the professor
wrote me a letter when I sent him the information he requested saying it
is vital to inform the consumer public.

I guess I could sum it all up in one line, Andy:  THOSE RESPONSIBLE TO
SOLVE THE PROBLEM ARE THE PROBLEM!  The pathetic thing is in the instance
of diabetics they look to the ADA for advice and the information they
give can take their life.  Constantly I meet diabetics who are half blind
and out-of-control, and terribly ill because they are on NutraSweet.

When we had Dr. Roberts' seminar here on Alzheimers one man said to me:
"My mother was a diabetic.  She did well for years on saccharin.  Then
she decided to switch to NutraSweet.  Soon she went blind, got Alzheimers
and died a horrible death!"  Dr. Roberts said when aspartame was approved
his diabetic patients began to present with confusion and memory loss,
and serious vision problems.  He also says NutraSweet, in his opinion, is
escalating Alzheimers Disease.

Somebody ought to make these organizations account for every penny.  One
of the things Mission Possible does is get information to the medical
profession, and we notice books are being rewritten.  For instance, Dr.
Robert Atkins who wrote the famous Atkins Diet just wrote a new book
called HEALTH REVELATIONS and in it he retracts his original statements
saying aspartame is safe.  I think I have that retraction on email and if
I can find it I will forward it.  I think the Yeast Connection has been
rewritten too because of aspartame.  We also get information to writers
of books on diet and nutrition.

I might also mention that I read the ADA's magazine Forecast and it was
full of ads for products that contained NutraSweet, advertising what they
considered safe for the diabetic.  As Dr. Russell Blaylock, neurosurgeon,
has said - aspartame actually triggers diabetes!  The reason we work so
hard at alerting the public is that so many, like diabetics, have been
sacrificed out of greed.  We must care, Andy, we all work free!

And I wouldn't even get me started on the American Dietetics Assn.
I will forward an article about them where they admit that NutraSweet
writes their material - and they too recommend this chemical poison as
safe for diabetics and pregnant women.  When you think of the babies that
have been sacrificed you could weep.  As Dr. James Bowen once said:
"fetal tissue doesn't tolerate methanol."

These organizations know what they are doing.  They have been given
enough documentation.

Incidently, even though this may not be the place for a discussion on
organizations, what I'm telling you is well known.  Dr. Julian Whitaker
in January, 1995 wrote a supplement titled THE AMERICAN DIETETIC
ASSOCIATION MUST BE STOPPED IN ITS TRACTS.  He says: "You must realize
the American Dietetic Association is simply a private trade association
of dieticians that functions more like a cheerleader for big business.
Like childish rock stars wearing a sign that says, "Give money, will
endorse," they join hands with large food and pharmaceutical companies.
If this group has any concept of conflict of interest, it is all but
invisible.  ADA proudly flaunts it financial ties to multinational food
and drug companies."

"In April of this year, callers to the ADA free "public information"
hotline were told that this "public service" was funded in part by
Monsanto, makers of NutraSweet.  Notice the paradox here.  The ADA
endorses NutraSweet, a non-nutritive chemical sweetener that breaks down
in your body into methyl alcohol and formaldehyde, and has been the
subject of more "adverse reaction reports" to the FDA than any food
additive in history.  But it publicly embarrasses a Ph.D. nutritionist
for saying that vitamins may enhance the immune system of the elderly!"

Thank you, Dr. Whitaker!  His ending said it all: "You R.D.s that are
angry with me, the messenger, had best check the message.  Your leaders
don't lead - they intimidate.  Their agenda is simply a blueprint for
tyranny.  The rank and file should either clean house or walk away.
There is no reason why you can't learn new things along with the rest of
us, and earn respect, instead of hoodwinking state legislatures into
mandating it for you.  If you continue to seek power instead of knowledge
to coerce instead of to influence, you will only reap contempt from those
trying to advance the field of nutrition.  Is that the legacy you wish to
leave to your grandchildren?"  Julian Whitaker, M.D.

So you see, Andy, many times its a fight to get the truth to the public
because of organizations that do more harm than benefit.

Betty Martini
Domain:  betty at pd.org
UUCP:  ...!emory!pd.org!betty