insulin and the brain

erasmus harland p.s.e.harland at ncl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 30 17:11:47 EST 1995

thanks for your note/ I am working on insulin resistance. Presumably
glucose within the csf has to get into neurones, is there a specific
glucose transport protein for neurones, or is it the same mechanism for
entering muscles cells.  My hypothesis is than insulin resistance by
decreasing uptake into muscle, protects the brain from hypoglyaemia in
small for dates babies, who, when they are adults have  higher risk of
insulin resistance, hypertension and mortality from coronary heart
disease - the Barker hypothesis - or the thrifty genotype postulated by
Neel,