insulin and the brain

pat doyle pdoyle at medsun.unige.ch
Thu Aug 31 07:04:08 EST 1995

In article <422nn3$nqi at whitbeck.ncl.ac.uk>, erasmus harland

> thanks for your note/ I am working on insulin resistance. Presumably
> glucose within the csf has to get into neurones, is there a specific
> glucose transport protein for neurones, or is it the same mechanism for
> entering muscles cells.  My hypothesis is than insulin resistance by
> decreasing uptake into muscle, protects the brain from hypoglyaemia in
> small for dates babies, who, when they are adults have  higher risk of
> insulin resistance, hypertension and mortality from coronary heart
> disease - the Barker hypothesis - or the thrifty genotype postulated by
> Neel,

Brain has several specific types of glucose transporter :
GLUT 1 45 KDa astrocytes
GLUT 1 55 KDa capillaries and bbb     1 and 3 glucose transport
GLUT 3 46 KDa neurones
GLUT 5 ? KDa  microglia - fructose transport

GLUT 1 and 3 are supposedly insulin insensitive.Penicaud et al have
localized GLUT 2 in hypothalamus - i.e. glucose sensor as in liver.We have
immunohistochemistry of GLUT 4  in hypothalamus (insulin responsive as in
muscle)....Good luck Pat Doyle.