THEY KNEW THE GUN WAS LOADED! NUTRASWEET

Mark Gold mgold at max.tiac.net
Sat Dec 2 19:19:43 EST 1995

>From: grovesa at starbase1.caltech.edu (Andrew K. Groves)
>Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
>Subject: Re: THEY KNEW THE GUN WAS LOADED! NUTRASWEET
>Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:06:42 +0100

>> So, what are some solid studies on aspartame and demyelinating autoimmune
>> disorders (MS, CIDP, whatever)?
>>

>There are none. Similarly for Parkinson's.

Andy,

You're right about there being no studies on aspartame and
demyelinating autoimmune disorders.  The problem is that no studies
were even close to long enough to confirm the numerous reported cases
of long-term aspartame ingestion causing MS-like symtpoms (*not* MS).
The longest *reasonable quality* study has only lasted three months.

We have a case where almost all independent, double-blind studies show
adverse reactions to aspartame even though capsules were used and the
studies did not last very long.  These experiments confirmed acute
reactions to aspartame.  Unfortunately, the long-term, independent
studies (which should have occurred years ago), have not been conducted.

>(Actually, there was one for
>Parkinson's that showed no effect on motor function during the period of
>the experiment).

Are you referring to that *single-dose* experiment of aspartame and
Parkinson's Disease (Neurology 43:611-613)?  One dose of *fresh*,
*encapsulated* aspartame, giving near meal-time to Parkinson's
patients.  Based on this "study" the authors concluced aspartame need
not be restricted in Parkinson's.  When a single-dose experiment of a
different product is used to determine the safety of life-long use of
real-world, aspartame-containing products, something is seriously amiss
with science (not to mention "Neurology's" peer review system).  I
plan on adding a short chapter in my aspartame review in a couple of
days listing what I think are minimum requirements for a passable
study on aspartame.

I got an email from a person who worked at a medical center that
treated Parkinson's patients.  She said everyone was told not to give
aspartame to the patients because it significantly increased tremors
in many cases.   I think I have an excerpt from that email on my
aspartame web page.

Best Wishes,
                             - Mark
                          mgold at tiac.net
             http://www.tiac.net/users/mgold/health.html
    (Web articles on Food & Nutrition, Yoga, aspartame/NutraPoison,
   sweetener resources, stevia, toxic carpeting, rBGH, fluoride, MSG
     detoxification, mental health resources.  Much more to come.
         Lots of links to medical and holistic healing sites.
          Will email articles if you do not have WWW access.