paralytic agents, Urethane- advice sought

Thomas R. Gregg greggt at
Sat Dec 2 22:03:21 EST 1995

2 projects in our lab:

1) recording cortical auditory evoked potentials.  We want to record from
awake rats, but we need to keep them very still, to avoid changes in
stimulus volume (etc.) as the rats move.  We want to find a paralytic drug
(such as Flaxedil, curare, methocarbamol) which does not cross blood-brain
barrier, that will reduce the rat's movements but not increase its
stress/arousal level.  Would methocarbamol be good for this?  References
are appreciated.

2)  recording rat hippocampal AEPs.  any problems with using urethane

Please reply via email.  Thank you.

Tom Gregg
greggt at