Another language question

Andrew Ray aray at emory.edu
Mon Dec 4 23:09:27 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.89.9512010834.H17365-0100000 at lex.lccc.edu>,
rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU (Ron Blue) writes:

>Autism is probably a multiple caused syndrome.
>A interesting possibility is that they produce to much beta endophins
>or pleasure chemicals.  This explain why they can bang their heads
>in the wall to feel better(?).  If you were given heron all day long
>you would not likely to be motivated by anything.  Ron Blue

The only problem with this theory is that the brain builds up tolerance to
beta-endorphins just as it does to other opioid compounds.  There is a limit to
how far you can up-regulate production of b-endo. to compensate for this
tolerance.  Presumably they would then proceed to recover.  I've also never
heard of autistic people banging their heads against walls to feel better.  Is
this documented or anecdotal?

Andrew Ray
Emory University Neuroscience Program
aray at emory.ed