Brain Structure/Intelligence

Kevin Spencer kspencer at s.psych.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 6 01:29:12 EST 1995

sallas at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (sallas bill joe) writes:

>Hi,
>	I am an education major who has gotten out of his leauge in a
>paper I am writing.  In the paper I am trying to prove that the structure
>of the brain supports the multiple intelligence theory, rather than
>Spearman's g.  When I say brain structure, I am talking about
>modularity; the fact that the brain is made up of sub-systems and is not
>just a single thinking unit.  I have read articles by Ira Black (Cracking
>the Brain case) and Gould (Mozart and Modularity) as well as stuff by
>Gazzaniga.  Basicly my theory is that because the brain is made up of
>these nueral networks, it makes sense that people will have different
>abilities in different areas.  Like I said, I am an education major so if
>my logic seems to be flawed, please correct me.  Any comments would be
>welcomed.
>Thank you
>Bill Sallas

While I don't know of any evidence to support links between neuroanatomy
and multiple intelligence theory, and I don't know anything about multiple
intelligence theory in the first place, the basic idea that multiple
intelligences or abilities are supported by different areas of the brain
is consistent with the prevailing data and theories of cognitive neuroscience.
A good example (I think) is the recent research relating the sizes of the
temporal plane in people with and without perfect pitch.  Here, a difference
in neuroanatomy corresponds to a difference in ability within a restricted
domain.

Kevin Spencer
Cognitive Psychophysiology Laboratory and Beckman Institute
kspencer at p300.cpl.uiuc.edu / kspencer at psych.uiuc.edu