carbon nanotube field-emission electron source

Danny Banks D.Banks at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 09:57:36 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.89.9512052116.A1853-0100000 at lex.lccc.edu>,
rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU (Ron Blue) wrote:

[paragraph deleted]

> This suggested to me the possibility of using such flat panel sheets
> for neuroscience research.  Since correlated electrostimulation
> results in an increase in neuro connections and potential for
> future neuro oscillations such flat panel may serve as a stimulation
> area for blind people.  If the projector is covered with teflon it
> should result in easy growth and connection of nerve cells on
> to the "flat" panel.  This has the potential of helping the blind to
> see again.  While this  is at least 25 years away it is an idea that
> has merit.  Ron Blue

For a review of some recent work in visual prosthetics, have a look at:

RA Normann. "Visual Neuroprosthetics - Functional Vision for the Blind", IEEE
Eng. in Med. & Biol. Magazine, 14 (1), January / February 1995, pp 77-83.

One of the approaches at Utah (reported in the paper) has been to use a
'pin-cushion' of silicon needles in an array which is inserted into the
visual cortex for microstimulation. The paper describes the approach and
potential far better than I can here. A quick quote from the discussion
section:

"An optimistic view ... [snip] .... It is not unreasonable to expect that an
electrode array that could provide a useful visual sense to a blind volunteer
could be implanted within the next five years., and commercial visual
prosthetic systems could be available after the turn of the century".

[Typos and the minor edit are mine].

Also, have a look at:

PR Kennedy. "The Cone Electrode: a Long-Term Electrode that Records from
Neurites Grown onto its Recording Surface", J. Neurosci. Meth., 29, pp 181-193,
1989.

About a microelectrode device that is implanted into the cortex, and encourages
the growth of neurites into the device. There's a couple more references,
and a longer description, at:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Banks/cone.html

There's something else of interest at CalTech:

http://www.caltech.edu/~pinelab/Pinelab.html

One of their projects is a probe that is inserted into the brain. Cultured
neurons in chambers on the probe (should ?) make contact with neurons
in the surrounding tissue. (Again, look at the pages, it gives a much better
description than I can).

Finally, *plug* *plug*, anyone interested in thin-film (integrated circuit
type) microelectrodes can find a few references in the bibliographies
I maintain at:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Banks/bibs.html

My links page has links to a few web pages maintained by people working
in the area:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Banks/links.html

Hope this is useful.

Danny.