Brain Structure/Intelligence

Kevin Spencer kspencer at s.psych.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 13 15:50:56 EST 1995

MOFFAT at sscl.uwo.ca writes:

>i don't know if anybody has written about this apparent paradox explicitly, but
>i personally think there is a relatively simple explanation for it.
>at the level of the whole brain cognitive abilities may be represented
>separately and independently.  However, i think the probable factor that
>underlies `g' is represented at the neuronal/cellular level.  ie something
>like better synaptic communication, faster transmission of impulses etc...
>this way, someone with generally more efficient neurons/electrical
>conduction could be generally better at most things yet still have their
>cognitive abilities parcelated quite independently at the level of the whole
>brain.

I've wondered if the efficiency of representations could be a part of
individual differences in intelligence.  To take an example from
connectionism, you can take the same net, train it on the same data,
but have start its training at different points in state space, and some
of the network's solutions may allow better generalization than others,
even though the network always learns to solve the problem successfully.

Kevin Spencer
Cognitive Psychophysiology Laboratory and Beckman Institute
kspencer at p300.cpl.uiuc.edu / kspencer at psych.uiuc.edu