ASPARTAME TESTING - MALICE IN BLUNDERLAND

Betty Martini betty at noel.pd.org
Wed Dec 13 21:46:00 EST 1995

         ABBOTT & COSTELLO PLAY MALICE IN BLUNDERLAND

Hitler was right, tell a monstrous lie often enough and it becomes the
truth. NutraSweet is called "The most thoroughly tested substance in
history."  Tested by comedians according to the late Dr. Adrian Gross, FDA
Toxicologist in a letter to Sen. Howard Metzenbaum:

  "The views of the FDA's Center for Food Safety read like a script
  written for Abbott & Costello in the sense of their having perceptions
  inside-out and upside-down ... 329 fetuses were examined in 2 days by
  a single person (a clear impossibility).

"We have uncovered serious deficiencies in Searle's operation and
practices which undermined the basis for reliance on Searle's integrity
... Searle has not submitted all the facts or experiments to FDA,
retaining unto itself the unpermitted option of filtering, interpreting
and not submitting information ... an attitude of disregard for FDA's
mission of protection of the public health ... conduct which compromises
the scientific integrity of the studies."  14 test blunders are listed,
including:

  Substitution of animals (hiding deaths)
  Using sick animals on drugs (unreported)
  Incomplete examination, unreported tumors
  Missing batch records
  Mixing food so rats in the test could avoid the product
  Destroying rats before they could be fully analyzed.

The full frequency of brain tumors was not disclosed by Searle to the
FDA. In l976 FDA Commissioner Dr. Alexander Schmidt publicly stated that
FDA could not rely on Searle's studies.  But the sloppy, incomplete,
doctored and fradulent "tests," with a little help from some friends, put
NutraSweet on the market for $2 Billion/year.  Dr. Gross continued:

  "It seems bizarre that essentially the same set of studies could
  provide a foundation for a decision that ... demonstrated the safety
  of aspartame ... Although the General Accounting Office expresses the
  view that FDA followed its required process, I sharply disagree ...
  although FDA may have gone through the motions such a "process" or
  dance represented no more than a farce and a mockery."

At the expense of our safety a system now exists where FDA works for
industry, not the American People.  In l981 NutraSweet was approved when
Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes, FDA head, overruled his own board of inquiry to do
so. Then he went to work for Searle's public relations firm!  Federal
prosecutor Sam Skinner who was assigned to prosecute Searle for fraud
quit the case to go to work for their lawyers.  Later Monsanto bought
Searle/NutraSweet and let slip the hounds of disease and devastation upon
an innocent unwarned American population.

Malice in Blunderland is no comedy.

                                       Betty Martini
                                       Operation Mission Possible

P.S.  In a memorandum from Herbert Helling titled CONFIDENTIAL TRADE