Double-virus transneuroal labeling technique

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Fri Dec 15 13:27:11 EST 1995

About a month ago I had mentioned that mutant virus would infect
active neurons so that staining techniques would allow the
tracing of the actual "functional" interconnections.  Unforunately,
I could not remember the source and no one else provided it to the
group.  By chance I now know the reference for this extremely
valuable procedure.  It is:

"Central Command Neurons of the Sympathetic Nervous System: Basis
of the Fight-or-Flight Response" by Arthur S. P. Jansen, Xay Van Nguyen,
Vladimir Karpitskiy, Thomas C. Mettenleiter, Arthur D. Loewy
Science October 27, 1995 page 644.

"Two different genetically engineered forms of the Bartha strain of
pseudorabies virus (PRV) were used as transneuronal trancer (2); each
expressed a unique marker antigen in infected host cells. (Fig. 1B).
Both produced specific infections within functionally related chains
of neurons."

"The two viruses used in this study had geonomes similar to the
attenuated live vacine strain (Bartha PRV) that is used in the
pig industry to prevent Aujeszky's disease, and each produces
specifi patterns of transneuronal infections in rats (9).  Because
Baratha PRV is an attenuated virus, the success rate is relatively
low, approaching 20% when used at its optimal titer (6,7).  Therefore,
it was not surprising that, when tow mutant Bartha variants were
used simultraneously, the success rate was 3%."

2. T.C. Mettenleiter, C. Schreurs, F. Zuckerman, Journal Virol. 62, 2712
(1988); T.C. Mettenleiter and I. Rauth, Journal Virol. Methods 30, 44 (1990)

Have fun,
Ron Blue