neural coding of behavior: evidence for precise timing of spikes ?

Jan Vorbrueggen jan at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Dec 18 06:49:34 EST 1995

In article <4aa6o2$efd at eis.wfunet.wfu.edu> laubach at biogfx.neuro.wfu.edu (Mark
Laubach) writes:

   I want to point again that correlational analysis can not directly address
   the issue of neural coding.  That is, if one is to conclude that a pattern
   of spike activity is a putative code for some neural process related to
   stimulus or behavior, then one must show that the pattern of activity is
   _predictive_ of the stimulus or behavior.

Hmm. The way I interpret this is: if the cross-correlation (or any other
signal processing of the neuronal signals) of two neurons alllows you to
distinguish stimuli that an old-fashioned PSTH does not, that
cross-correlation (or whatever) contains information the PSTH has
removed. Now, whether you can pinpoint the exact (statistical?) property of
the signals that contains that information is quite another matter.

   Finally, I think that recent developments for large-scale parallel
   recording (pioneered by our lab)

Would Krueger (Freiburg) and Eckhorn (Marburg) agree with you?

   and for methods for the analysis of temporal variations by single neurons
   and spatiotemporal variations by neural ensembles have led us to a new
   "paradigm" for neurophysiology.

Quite.

	Jan