grad programs

Kim Neve nevek at teleport.com
Thu Dec 21 15:53:11 EST 1995

"Alan J. Robinson" <robin073 at maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:

>By its very nature a neuroscience program is not an "integrated
>approach to studying the brain".

I was quite surprised to read this point of view.  I consider
neuroscience programs to be integrative, interdisciplinary programs by
their very nature, since neuroscience is not a discipline in the same
sense that pharmacology, say, or genetics are disciplines.  The
_extent_ to which any one program is interdisciplinary, or offers an
integrated approach to studying the brain, will probably depend to
some extent on the range of interests of the faculty of that program.
Even more important, though, is how much effort the student puts into
creating an integrated approach for him- or herself.  If the student
chooses to spend time doing research with somebody outside the program
because the student thinks the research is relevant to neuroscience in
some way, most neuroscience programs are sufficiently flexible to
allow that.

Kim Neve, Oregon Health Sciences University