neural coding of behavior: evidence for precise timing of spikes ?

Jan Vorbrueggen jan at
Thu Dec 21 08:04:44 EST 1995

In article <4b536l$baq at> laubach at (Mark
Laubach) writes:

   When are you going to distinguish the stimuli?  After looking at all the
   trials on average?

No, potentially during/immediately after the stimulus.

   My point was that we need trial-by-trial predictors for analyzing neuron

I understood that.

   A cross-correlation is nothing more than a correlational measure between
   time-series and a correlational measure is not a predictor for
   trial-by-trial classification.

Ah. You seem to be thinking of using the cross-correlation of one cell's
activity during different trials - that's not what I meant. I was talking of
the cross-correlation of two cells simultaneously active, which you (or
another cell) can compute on-the-fly, as it were. This _does_ enable you (or
that other cell) to distinguish the two stimuli as they are occuring.