internet and consciousness

Gerald McNerney mcnerney at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 2 16:27:01 EST 1995

Is the internet ever capable of attaining consciousness?  How can we
tell if it has?  Should we try to make developments in the internet that
will make it more likely to become conscious?

There are some superficial similarities between the internet and a
biological neural net.  In the internet, many sub-units (people with
PC's) are communicating with each other, like neurons in a biological
unit.  There are also vast stores of information available to internet.

There are major differences:  In a biological network, all the sub-units
are operating for the well-being and longevity of the biological unit.
 In internet, we are all pursuing our own goals, giving little for the
survival of the internet.  In higher vertebrates, the brain is organized
into many specialized sub-systems that communicate with each other using
many methods such as excitatory and inhibitory actions.  The neural
system in a body is responsible for sensory input: motor control, both
voluntary and autonomic, hormone secretion, and many other functions
that have helped it evolve into the conscious organ that it is.  The
internet seems to be lacking many of these functions.

Any ideas? - gm