controlled neural growth on Au/Si substrates

Joe Strout strout at cajal
Thu Feb 2 18:38:26 EST 1995

I'm trying to find more information about the controlled outgrowth of
neurons in culture.  In particular, I wonder

(1) To what extent can the pattern of synaptic connections between cells
be controlled?  I know that cells can be confined to small (5 um) areas
on a silicon-based substrate through lithography-controlled deposition of
binding compounds (such as amines and alkanes).  Using such techniques,
can cells be kept separated and persuaded to form synapses according to
the experimenter's plan?

(2) Have substrates been developed which can also serve as a matrix of
electrodes for the cells growing on them?  I picture a fine grid of
exposed tips, in contact with the cells or the support solution, which
can measure or affect the membrane potential where they touch the cells.
The only reference I can find (citation below) is from 1988:

	The binding characteristics of these silanes also makes
	them compatible with a class of porous gold/silicon
	alloys whose electrical characteristics are suitable
	for constructing arrays of surface electrodes that are
	sensitive to neural activity.

Any more recent information on this technique would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.

|    Joseph J. Strout		Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |
|    jstrout at ucsd.edu		http://sdcc3.ucsd.edu/~jstrout/    |

Reference:
Kleinfeld, D., Kahler, K.H., and Hockberger, P.E.  Controlled outgrowth
	of dissociated neurons on patterned substrates.  J. Neuroscience,
	November 1988, 8(11): 4098-4120.