Itching theory?

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Sat Feb 4 00:10:17 EST 1995

In article <3gu3tf$qd2 at>, bradw at (Brad Wyble)
>SOunds somewhat similar to an effect that can be observed using
>vibration and muscle spindles.  If you vibrate the bicep while the arm
>is upright and partially curled (about 60 deg from horizontal) and the
>subjects eyes are closed, the sensation that the arm is slowly curling
>more will be felt, causing the subject to extend the arm in
>compensation.  The vibration stimulates the muscle spindles(I
>think...its been a while), causing gamma motor neurons to fire.  This
>causes the illusion that your muscle is contracting.  (I may have it bacwards)
>In any case, could sensory neurons in the gums be reacting to the
>vibration similarly?  Does the itch happen regardless of what part of
>your mouth you're brushing?  And I also wonder how the frequency of
>vibration affects the itch.
                -Brad W.
Interesting ideas.  The effect is specific for one location only.  The
area is about 1/2 inch square.  On the left side of the face under the
noise about 1/2 inch away from the tip of the noise.  I assumed that
the viberation frequency would be critical interacting with my
normal neural oscillations.  I also assumed the effect would not
be universal.  However a quick survey of my class lead to at least
one other person reporting the same effect.
Ron Blue