RAS (Reticular Activating System)

Dag Stenberg stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI
Sun Feb 5 17:09:29 EST 1995

Tim Tulloch (harrison at netaxis.com) wrote:
} Does anyone know of any good sources of information on the RAS
} part of the brain? I want to do some reading on this. Thanks, --Tim

-- I would start with the following, because as I see it, the locus
coeruleus is the very essence of the classical RAS concept:

1  Foote, S.L., Berridge, C.W., Adams, L.M. and Pineda, J.A.,
Electrophysiological evidence for the involvement of the locus
coeruleus in alerting, orienting, and attending, Prog. Brain Res.,
88 (1991) 521-532.

2  Berridge, C.W. and Foote, S.L., Effects of Locus Coeruleus
Activation on Electroencephalographic Activity in Neocortex and
Hippocampus, J. Neurosci., 11 (1991) 3135-3145.

-- The pontine reticular formation, and mesopontine cholinergic areas
also play several of the parts classically assigned to the RAS; for
example:

1  Llinas, R.R. and Paré, D., Of dreaming and wakefulness,
Neuroscience, 44 (1991) 521-535.

2  Shouse, M.N. and Siegel, J.M., Pontine Regulation of REM Sleep
Components in Cats -Integrity of the Pedunculopontine Tegmentum
(PPT) Is Important for Phasic Events But Unnecessary for Atonia
During REM Sleep, Brain Res., 571 (1992) 50-63.

-- Maybe this could start you rolling.

Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: int.+358-0-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: int.+358-0-1918681
P.O.Box 9       (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)   tlx: 1002125 finuh sf
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland
        X.400:   /C=FI/A=FUMAIL/P=INET/O=HELSINKI/OU=CC/S=STENBERG/