Cell Body + Fiber Stain?

J. A. Kiernan jkiernan at julian.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 9 09:54:43 EST 1995

In article <3hchrq$s5i at newsbf02.news.aol.com> bobiniv at aol.com (BobinIV) writes:
>From: bobiniv at aol.com (BobinIV)
>Subject: Re: Cell Body + Fiber Stain?
>Date: 9 Feb 1995 02:56:41 -0500

>Have you considered Kluver Barrera KV or the Auletta, both of which use
>the metachromatic properties of cresyl violet?  Although the KV technique
>requires attention to detail and is time consuming, it gives excellent
>results.  However, I've obtained good results with a relatively fast and
>easy staining technique described by Donovick, P. J. (A metachromatic
>stain for neural tissue., Stain Technology, 49: 49-51, 1974) using a
>combination of formalin and thionin. The cell bodies appear dark purple
>and the fibers are reddish pink.

      The original formalin-thionin method was that of M.C. Chang
      (1936)  Anat. Rec. 65: 437-442.  The reagent is used as a
      combined fixative & stain, and the block is then embedded in
      paraffin and sectioned.  I tried it a long time ago, and it
      worked first time, but it's not for anyone who's in a hurry
      for the results!
        It's important to realize that these methods stain only
      the myelin (not axons) in the metachromatic pink-red colour.
      Probably the metachromasia is due to sulphatide lipids.  The
      blue is, of course, from DNA and RNA.
                                            John A. Kiernan
       	                                    Department of Anatomy
                                            Univ. of Western Ontario