deja vu

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Feb 9 08:35:38 EST 1995

The following message was posted by David.  I thought it may have
some interest to the group.  David has also informed me that if
the speed of display on monitors is set wrong it causes the learner in
a virtual reality setup to throwup.  He is currently looking for a frequency
that would increase learning speed.
Ron Blue

From: David_Poling at ccm.jf.intel.com (David Poling)
Subject: Re: deja vu
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 95 15:07:17 -0800
There has been some research done on focusing electromagnetic
fields on certain areas of the brain, especially the temporal
lobes.  When the EM fields were turned on the test subject
began to experience "deja-vu".  I don't have any references
available though...
<delete>
I imagine that a fluctuating EM field could induce electrical
wavelet patterns in the neurons within the field.  Is that
possible?  It seems that those induced wavelets would then
interact with other current stimulus wavelets somehow messing
up the interpretation of the current stimuli in the affected
area.  If that area is the temporal lobes(which, correct me if
I'm wrong, handles our interpretation of time) then the effect
could be similar to "deja-vu".  Maybe various frequencies of
EM field fluctuation could change the "deja-vu" effect or even
make it seem like premonition?  A motorcycle helmet with electro-
magnets placed over the temporal lobes was the device the
researchers used to test this(as far as I can remember).
I suppose the frequency of A/C current run through the electro-
magnets could be adjusted to test this idea...
< delete>
These are wild speculations so please-no flames:)
      David Poling
      vmfx at teleport.com
                                  VMFX
                      "We design the world for you!"
                 *Virtual Environments* *VR System Design*
                       *Animation* *Graphic Design*

      10902 SW 63rd Ave, Portland, OR 97219, Phone:(503)977-3551