internet and consciousness

Louie B. Lbern at interlink.net
Sun Feb 12 12:43:45 EST 1995

In article <3him96$m80 at ixnews2.ix.netcom.com> paulwolf at ix.netcom.com (Paul Wolf) writes:
>From: paulwolf at ix.netcom.com (Paul Wolf)
>Subject: Re: internet and consciousness
>Date: 11 Feb 1995 15:48:54 GMT

>In <D3tJ9I.Gn3 at cunews.carleton.ca> etabello at arena.carleton.ca (Elias
>Tabello) writes:

>>>  All the Internet will ever be is an extremely complex set
>>> of connected computers.  It won't become "conscious" and thereby
>>>administer itself

>>I think that {lotsa stuff snipped} the internet is an interconnection of
>>conscious {ie: human} units: meta-consciousness.

>I think consciousness has something to do with the creation of an
>internal model of the external world, and also a model for oneself.

"Is the internet conscious?" The thought also crossed my mind, but more as a
science fiction plot. No the internet is not conscious - it is an indirect
reflection of the human consciousness.
But when used to communicate meaningful ideas the internet can cause a change
in human consciousness.  As with any forum for the exchange of ideas, the
internet can be a place to grow and learn. But until conscious computers are
developed the internet will remain only a reflection of consciousness.
Please Note: I am using the standard definition of consciousness here
(you know - the one that says inanimate objects are not conscious.)

Louie B.