choosing graduate mentor

Tiamariaaa tiamariaaa at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 22:35:16 EST 1995

I am somewhat new to the neuro graduat program and am in the
process of choosing a graduate lab/mentor.  I am a bit confused,
however, and could use some advice.

The problem is that I am very clear about the type of research
I want to do, but there isn't anyone doing exactly that.  A lab
or two comes close, however, but I _really_ like and respect
the director of a third lab which is involved with something
other than my main interest.

So-what is the most important thing to go by at this point
in the game?  Get into the lab doing work in the area of my
interest?  Or try to get into a lab with a great mentor and
hope to post-doc in the field of my interest?

I should say that the whole reason I am going to grad school
is because I want to "devote my life" to my interest, and
don't really want to study something different (the difference
is like between studying Substance P and studying dopamine-
similar in technique, maybe, but different in the long haul).

Thanks for any words of wisdom!