internet and consciousness

Kevin Hellman kevin at brain
Wed Feb 15 10:44:05 EST 1995

In article <D3xBvs.JHD at cunews.carleton.ca> etabello at agora.carleton.ca (Elias Tabello) writes:

>   I find the theory of collective consciousness can only be grasped
>   intuitively, or by the gut.  But I think that it would be great to be able
>   to measure such phenomena.
>   I think that the internet is cosmically synchronous with an emerging
>   collective consciousness which will be evident without intuitive aid.

  If consciousness is ever to become a science it will have to approached
from an non-intuitive standpoint.  We can approach it philosophically, but
until it has a foundation like cellular biology or physics we will
not be able to develop an atmosphere for the scientific method
to be applied.  It will not be easy to test or measure "consciousness."
In fact, it has demonstrated that it is impossible to develop a test or set of
measures for conciousness (e.g. the Turing test).  Nevertheless, consciousness is not
necessary for an intelligent system.  The internet is a fascinating complex
system... But, as much as it reflects society, it cannot be demonstrated it has
an intentionality.

KEVIN HELLMAN		kevin at head.neurology.wisc.edu
LAB: (608)-265-5343     University of Wisconsin
                        Neurology & Neural Simulation
KEVIN HELLMAN		kevin at head.neurology.wisc.edu