choosing graduate mentor

S. Chakrabarty sc203 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 05:19:55 EST 1995

On 12 Feb 1995, Tiamariaaa wrote:

> The problem is that I am very clear about the type of research
> I want to do, but there isn't anyone doing exactly that.  A lab
> or two comes close, however, but I _really_ like and respect
> the director of a third lab which is involved with something
> other than my main interest.

It is always better to have different interests and be flexible as
certain procedures that you may come across in the lab doing work in
another aspect of your field is what you might require to use in the
longrun.

> So-what is the most important thing to go by at this point
> in the game?  Get into the lab doing work in the area of my
> interest?  Or try to get into a lab with a great mentor and
> hope to post-doc in the field of my interest?

Use this program to learn more about the subject and the various
procedures that you may really put to use in future work. It is easy to
come up with new ideas, but very difficult to design protocols if
youaren't very adept with the procedures

> I should say that the whole reason I am going to grad school
> is because I want to "devote my life" to my interest, and
> don't really want to study something different (the difference
> is like between studying Substance P and studying dopamine-
> similar in technique, maybe, but different in the long haul).

I hope this does help you intaking adecision.I too have faced the same
dilemna but,am now enjoying my work in the field that's closest
to what I intend to do in future.

Samit.