LSD & neurotrasmitter relationship ?

JC joec at johnston.jhuapl.edu
Wed Feb 22 08:46:18 EST 1995

Hello ! I was just curious if anyone knows how LSD affects
neurotrasmitters in the brain. I think
I heard that LSD can mimic or replace the actions that seratonin perform
in the brain and that
this leads to the hallucinations in some way. I also heard that through
intense meditation and deprivation of food and the like that the same
hallucinations can come about. What exactly is
going on ? Is it indeed seratonin that is affected. Also I suffer from
panic attacks and there are
indications that low levels of seratonin  can cause PAs. What are the
current theories on this ?
An LSD thread was started on alt.support.anxiety-panic  and this came up
and I was curious.
Thanks!