Biology Question

Sam Rivers sam at gulf.net
Fri Feb 24 19:14:13 EST 1995

I am a first year Biology student with a question that gave my instructor
a problem ...  Why does a neuro transmission take energy?  If the Na+
ions are greater on the outside than on the inside, therefore when the
transmission occurs the Na+ ions move in. It seems that this would be
diffusion and it should require no energy.  Yet, my professor told us
that this nuro transmission required a considerable amount of ATP but,
was unable to explain the origin of the energy.

Thanks,
Samantha Rivers