Consciousness

Tomas Henrique Maul thm1 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Feb 25 14:58:35 EST 1995

> Does anyone have any thoughts about what might happen if you could
> *entirely* isolate a brain from any sensory input? This is purely
> hypothetical of course, as it would be impossible to test, but what
> I'm getting at is the inherent stability of the neural system
> deprived of sensory throughput.

	Yes! I have thought of this before and am very interested in your
ideas. Since maybe not many people on the net seem to be interested in this
subject I will submit one short thought and if you see that it is related to
your own we can continue the discussion by e-mail.
	I believe that it may be possible for a brain to undergo a
development where it does not interact through sensory receptors with the
external (non body) world and that instead, proceeds from an
interaction of the brain with itself and the whole physiology of the
body. So, the brain would still be receiving information /stimulus, but
instead of it being from outside, it would be from inside (ex. the
"travellings" of electricity, of chemicals, many levels of organic movements
etc.etc.) In short, the brain's world would be the whole body (brain, other
organs, etc,etc) as OUR brain's world is the external world (family,
society, nature etc..) - or, in other words, the brain would have
imediate consciousness of the brain, of it's
development,  of the rest of the body, etc.. Naturally many questions
then arise:how would this brain be sensitive to the deep levels of the body's
reality? what motifs could the mind of this brain have? what would be the
"actions" of this mind? etc...and: could this brain learn all about the
body and then, by further treatment by scientists, begin to develop
awareness of the external world and thus grow the means to comunicate to
us all it's knowledge?

	please e-mail me your ideas,      Tomas Maul
Name: Tomas Maul
E-mail address: thm1 at st-and.ac.uk