Chaos Theory

GS Hamilton hamilton at umbc.edu
Sat Feb 25 17:07:36 EST 1995

In article <3iict9$rq6 at newstand.syr.edu>,
Masterpiece Theater <jdimpson at mailbox.syr.edu> wrote:
>For my Introduction to Neurobiology class I'm taking here at Syracuse
>University (taught by Dr. Robert Barlow) I have chosen to report for a final
>project on known occurences of patterns of chaos found in human
>physiology (preferably in the nervous system) Can anyone give me any
>information on the topic?  A reference to some printed work would be
>great, and any correspondence with people who have actually experimented
>with the topic would be ideal (in other words, really really really great).
>Thank you.

See Nature 1994, 370, 615-620. These folks demonstrate chaotic behavior
in a neural network prepared from rat brain hippocampal slice. In
particular, they show that chaos can be controlled in this system, and
that conversely periodic behavior can be anticontrolled, i.e., chaos can
be induced.
Hope this is of some usefulnerss to you.
GS Hamilton