Limbic System - What's in, What's out

Phil Nicholls pn8886 at
Fri Feb 24 10:04:38 EST 1995

In article <3ijlls$rik at>, David <dhe at> wrote:
>pn8886 at (Phil Nicholls) writes:
>>I have been getting into the literature on the limbic system and
>>I am having some problems with deciding what constitutes the limbic
>>system.  Different authors list different sets of structures.  All
>>seem to include the hypothalamus, amygdala, hippocampus and septal
>>areas.  I am partial to Isaacson's views because it is rather clean.
>>Is there any sort of consensus outside of these structures?
>Not much.  Here's the list I give my students in Physiological

[very useful list saved for future reference and deleted from this

Thank you very much.  I am currently reading Robert Isaacson's book
_The Limbic System_ because it was the most recent general work I
could find in my library.  I also have _The Amygdala_ setting on
my shelf waiting when that is done.

I am primarily an evolutionary biologist (physical anthropology
actually) and I am interested in the limbic system, specifically
the amygdala, and the role they play in complex social interactions.

Issacson, from what I have read so far, centers his approach to the
limbic system on the hypothalamus.  I would like to follow his
approach of looking specifically at core limbic structures because
it will simplfy my review considerably though I am not sure how
much sense it makes from an evolutionary perspective.

Again, thanks for the information.

Philip "Chris"  Nicholls               	  Department of Anthropology
Institute for Hydrohominoid Studies       SUNY  Albany
University of Ediacara			  pn8886 at
"Semper Alouatta"