Limbic System - What's in, What's out

Phil Nicholls pn8886 at csc.albany.edu
Fri Feb 24 10:04:38 EST 1995

In article <3ijlls$rik at er6.rutgers.edu>, David <dhe at eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>pn8886 at csc.albany.edu (Phil Nicholls) writes:
>
>>I have been getting into the literature on the limbic system and
>>I am having some problems with deciding what constitutes the limbic
>>system.  Different authors list different sets of structures.  All
>>seem to include the hypothalamus, amygdala, hippocampus and septal
>>areas.  I am partial to Isaacson's views because it is rather clean.
>
>>Is there any sort of consensus outside of these structures?
>
>Not much.  Here's the list I give my students in Physiological
>Psychology:

[very useful list saved for future reference and deleted from this
message]

Thank you very much.  I am currently reading Robert Isaacson's book
_The Limbic System_ because it was the most recent general work I
could find in my library.  I also have _The Amygdala_ setting on
my shelf waiting when that is done.

I am primarily an evolutionary biologist (physical anthropology
actually) and I am interested in the limbic system, specifically
the amygdala, and the role they play in complex social interactions.

Issacson, from what I have read so far, centers his approach to the
limbic system on the hypothalamus.  I would like to follow his
approach of looking specifically at core limbic structures because
it will simplfy my review considerably though I am not sure how
much sense it makes from an evolutionary perspective.

Again, thanks for the information.

--
Philip "Chris"  Nicholls               	  Department of Anthropology
Institute for Hydrohominoid Studies       SUNY  Albany
University of Ediacara			  pn8886 at cnsunix.albany.edu
"Semper Alouatta"