genetics of psychotropic drug receptors info?

Vic Yuschuk vy001d at uhura.cc.rochester.edu
Mon Feb 27 21:01:46 EST 1995

In <a-2502950106120001 at comserv-e-20.usc.edu> a (a) writes:

>In article <3i8l0q$nhp at umbc7.umbc.edu>, hamilton at umbc.edu (GS Hamilton) wrote:

>> In article <1995Feb19.190825.538 at galileo.cc.rochester.edu>,
>> Vic Yuschuk <vy001d at uhura.cc.rochester.edu> wrote:
>> >Anyone have any general info on researchers, papers or anthing else in this
>> >area?  Is it currently a popular field of study?
>>
>> It's not clear what the question is here. Most psychotropic drugs mimic
>> the actions of endogenous neurotransmitters at certain receptor subtype
>> populations. For example, many "hallucinogenic" compounds act as agonists
>> at 5HT2 (and probably other serotonin subtype) receptors, and some also
>> have activity at dopamine receptor subtypes. Are you asking about the
>> genetics of serotonin, dopamine and other receptors?

>Above erply is correct.

>A good source is the G Protein-linked Receptor Fact Book.  It's very
>complete.  It doesn't specifically address psychotropic aspects of the
>receptors, ie which receptors are pschotropic.

Sorry about the vagueness.  I meant papers about genetic factors that
influence how *receptive* people are to psychotropic drugs, i.e. how well
and in which ways they respond.  Picky, picky.

Vic Yuschuk
vy001d at uhura.rochester.edu

"I don't know what's right.  I don't know what's wrong.  I don't even know
what's going on."  Jim, from "TAXI"