Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Scheuermann's or Fibromyalgia?

Gallisdorf gallisdorf at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 00:09:36 EST 1995

      My wife is having a difficult time getting to the bottom of her
medical condition, so I will describe it, and if any of you can shed light
on the matter, please do.

      My wife MAY two fairly rare medical conditions that I am
researching. Scheuermann's Disease (which at this point I doubt) and
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, which seemed far more likely and is what several
of her doctors are telling her she has. (But input in the last few days
from a doctor in New York has got me now believing that it may be
fibromyalgia.) Of the three main types of TOS, I know it is NOT the
vascular kind, but appears to be more than just the very rare form called
True Neurogenic TOS, as she has a lot of pain involved on a greater
portion of her left side than would be expected. I guess it is possible
she has True Neurogenic TOS and "Disputed" TOS (or"bogus" TOS) at the same
time, but am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, so is just
my conjecture. She has constant and severe pain in the shoulder, neck,
chest, arm & hand, and it extends down the leg along the sciatic nerve and
into the buttocks, knee, calf of the leg and the heel. There is also
pronounced weakness in the affected area, and it has been slowly getting
worse over the last 3 years. Acupuncture, massage, many kinds of therapy,
trigger point injections, muscle relaxants, and many other threatments
have been tried, and minimal to no results occured. X-Rays reveal no
'extra' rib, and MRI's show no nerve pinches. EMG's do show nerve
abnormalities, though.

      It all started about 3 years ago with severe muscle strain at work.
She now also suffers from migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, gall stones
and possibly kidney stones (not certain, yet.)

      I have logged onto many a medical university site like Harvard and
Princton, and used Gopher, Archie, Veronica and Jughead to search. All I
have found is an occasion letter either to or from someone with the last
name of Scheuermann!!! That is it. Where else can I look? Any suggestion
would be most welcome.

      If anyone out there has some insight on where to look on the
internet, a book, magazine article, a library, are even their personal
mecical opinion, I would be most appreciative.

      Sincerely,
      Steve Gallisdorfer
      "GALLISDORF at aol.com"
Steve Gallisdorfer