genetics of psychotropic drug receptors info?

GS Hamilton hamilton at umbc.edu
Tue Feb 28 21:25:24 EST 1995

>>> Vic Yuschuk <vy001d at uhura.cc.rochester.edu> wrote:
(Original post and replies deleted)
>Sorry about the vagueness.  I meant papers about genetic factors that
>influence how *receptive* people are to psychotropic drugs, i.e. how well
>and in which ways they respond.  Picky, picky.

At the risk of sounding yet more picky, I must note that the ability to
give a decent answer is a function of the precision of the question.
The issue you are asking about is interesting but too complex to answer
in its broad statement. THe factors that govern an organism's response to
a drug are large: the intrinsic affinity of the drug for its target, the
population density of receptors, the ability of the drug to penetrate to
the target tissue, which involves metabolic fate and, in the case of CNS
drugs, ability to penetrate the BBB. Etc., etc. Many of these factors may
have a genetic component.
Alexander Shulgin, who has prepared and evaluated a large number of
psychoactive phenethylamines, has noted that compounds with a sulfur
substituent on the aromatic ring tend to show a lot of variation among
individuals; i.e., some may be powerfully affected by a certain dose of
compound A, wheras others may feel almost no effects with a much higher
dose of the same compound. This would seem to be an example of individual
idiosyncracies of metabolism being important.
As I say, the issue is complex! The flip side of the coin is the study of
the genetic components of certain forms of mental illness. This is also a
complex area, but more is known.
GS Hamilton