dystrophy

Jon Laake jon.laake at basalmed.uio.no
Tue Jan 3 04:38:17 EST 1995

In article <D1sx40.DvA at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, mlm2s at galen.med.Virginia.EDU (Mallory Leslie McClure) says:

>I am sitting here on a day off from classes and finding myself
>without a lot to do.  So, in keeping with my curiosity I must
>ask, what EXACTLY does the word "dystrophy" mean?  I have a
>vague picture of what it means based on the clinical
>manifestations.  But, I just wanted a more exact, textbook-like
>definition if possible.  Thanks.
>--
>Mallory L. McClure UVa School of Medicine class of 1997
>207 14th Street N.W. Apt. 7
>Charlottesville,VA 22903
>mlm2s at virginia.edu

The word dystrophy is derived from greek:

[dys-] a combining form signifying difficult, painful, bad,
disordered, abnormal; the opposite of [eu-].

[trophikos] nourishing. [-trophic] word termination denoting
relationship to nutrition.

The word dystrophy is thus used to characterize any disorder
arising from defective or faulty nutrition or growth.

In modern texts the word trophism is used to describe a number
of growth/development related issues.

Jon Henrik Laake, MD
Anatomical Institute, University of Oslo,
POBox 1105 Blindern,
0317 OSLO, NORWAY
Tel +47 22851176/51150, FAX +47 22851278,
EMail: jon.laake at basalmed.uio.no