Olfactory Granule Cells

Yasunori Hayashi yhayashi at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Jan 3 12:47:02 EST 1995

In article <3e46li$3bh at portal.gmu.edu>, herwin at osf1.gmu.edu (HARRY R. ERWIN) writes:

> Experimentally, do olfactory granule cells have active conductances or are
> they passive? I finally had a (relatively) successful simulation run last
> night of my olfactory bulb model using active conductances in the granule
> cells, and it converged to a stable state with a small population of the
> tufted/mitral cells spiking, which was enough to depolarize the granule
> cells and so indirectly inhibit the remainder of the tufted/mitral
> cells--a condition that didn't match what I know of the OB in vivo. A
> related question is whether there is any evidence for afferent inhibitory
> synapses on the granule cells.

I am no longer in this field.  But the following paper may help you.

Wellis D.P. and Kauer J.S.  GABAergic and glutamatergic synaptic input to identified granule cells
in salamander olfactory bulb.  J. Physiol. 475 419-430 (1994).

I think lateral inhibition in the olfactory tufted/mitral cell (in your words "indirectly inhibit the
remainder of the tufted/mitral cells") has been already documented in whole animal preparation.

Wilson D.A. and Leon M.  Evidence of lateral synaptic interaction in olfactory bulb output cell

So I do not understand in what sense you said "a condition that didn't match what I know of the
OB in vivo".

Anyway, I look forward to your outcome.  Sorry, if I missed your points because I do not so much
about simulation of neuronal circuitry.  Good luck !

Yasunori Hayashi
Department of Neurophysiology, Institute for Brain Reserch
Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
yhayashi at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
yhayashi-tky at umin.u-tokyo.ac.