Warning! Layman's question! =)

Henry Tobin tobin at cshl.org
Fri Jan 6 16:49:17 EST 1995

 On 4 Jan 1995 19:06:16 GMT,
> Tom Salyers  <at425 at yfn.ysu.edu> wrote:
>

> >  Greetings.  I'm trying to write a science fiction story in my spare time,
> >but I can't seem to find the research material I need in the local university
> >library.
> >  My central question is this: is the human sense of passing time a factor
> >of neurochemistry? And if so, would it be possible (given the right level
> >of knowledge and technology, of course) to manufacture a drug that would
> >alter that sense--to make two years, for instance, feel like fifty?
> >  Any and all advice or pointers to reference material (not *too* technical,
> >please--my training's in computer science, not neurology) will be greatly
> >appreciated.

I suggest that you look up the work of Warren Meck and Russell Church in
the Experimental Psychology literature (check in you college library for
Psychlit on CD-ROM or for the Social Sciences Citation Index).  They have
experimentally altered rat behavior by chemically altering the rats'
putative subjective passage of time--not as dramatic as you request, but
real.

--Henry Tobin