Non stick brain slices

Charles E. Weaver wheat at mbcrrc.bu.edu
Thu Jan 12 11:26:16 EST 1995

In article <ace-1201950945520001 at 165.112.96.110>, ace at pop.nih.gov (Alex
Cummins) wrote:

> > Does anyone have a nice recipe for a solution that could be used to
> stick brain
> > slices to slides?  I am currently using gelatin coated slides but when I
> dehydrate
> > the sliced brains prior to staining they float off the slides with
> disconcerting
> > regularity.
> >
> > The brains are from perfused rats, soaked in 30 % sucrose formalin to
> force out
> > water, blocked, bonded to a post with tissue tek, and cut coronally at
> -10 degrees
> > on a cryostat.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Patrick

Patrick:

     We generally coat our slides 3x drying in our glass drying oven
between about 150 F.

I can't tell from your post but it sounds like you are not drying your
sections onto the slides properly the sections should be dryed onto the
slides on a slide warmer the heat helps to stick them onto the coated
slides (I leave them on overnight) if you are already doing this try
increasing the heat of the plate a little.
|| ||
\\^//   Charles E.Weaver
\\^//   Boston University School of Medicine     Phone (617)638-5323