astrocytes/neurotransmitters

cc3265 at albnyvms.bitnet cc3265 at albnyvms.bitnet
Fri Jan 13 08:18:20 EST 1995

In article <3f2ajg$8q4 at news.bu.edu>, jsandair at acs.bu.edu (Johnny Sandaire) writes:
>In article <3edr24$opq at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>,
>un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de says...
>>

>>hello,
>>i need some info. Do astrocytes express any of the following substances ?
>>Or could you point me towards a review which additional info ?
>>some of these factors are neurotransmitters, so this makes me wonder:
>>vip, tph,somatostatin, subst. P, cck,neuropept. Y, CGRP, LIF,
>>enkaphilin.
>>
>>thanks in advance,
>>
>>clemens, heidelberg
>>
>   Generally, only nerve cells (neurons) are involve in nerotransmitter
>secretion-signalling.  Signalling is the function of neurons.  Astrocytes
>are involve in many other functions-mostly in the maintenance of the blood
>brain barrier.  It has been postulated that astrocytes are involve in the
>policing of excess K+ ions due to the constant firing of brain neurons.  The
>permeability of astrocytes allows for uptake of Cl- ions thereby maintaining
>electrical neutrality.  Astrocytes are considered as the third major class
>of glial cell, which are the most numourous, and at the same time the most
>enigmatic.

Actually, I remember reading fairly recently (don't you hate when you can't
remember a citation!) about some new research done on glia cells, again I
forget which type, that suggested that some of them at least might be
communicating to neurons.  I think it was an issue of Science, maybe two,
maybe three months back.  Sorry, I know this isn't much help -- might try
checking abstracts at the library.  However, I do remember the article and
being fascinated with it at the time. (Unfortunately, grad school forces the
really interesting things out of one's head, in pursuit of what someone else
considers interesting!)
>  C.R. Cooper
   Dept. of Anthropology
   SUNY at Albany