[info wanted]: An amateur want list of 10 most important experiments

Hannah Dvorak DvorakH at starbase1.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 19 14:43:46 EST 1995

In article <WU.95Jan17130447 at rahu.nntp>, wu at rahu.nntp (Shau-Ming Wu) wrote:

> Can you name 10 most significant experiments and their discovery
> in neuroscience since ancient time? Just for simple curiosity.
> Don't flame.
>
> Tom

Hmm... here's a few:

1. Cajal's use of Golgi's silver stain, at the turn of the century, to
make terrifically detailed drawings of the morphology of different
neuronal types; this was also good evidence for the neuron doctrine,
namely that the nervous system is composed of discrete cells rather than a
continuous reticulum.

2. Hodgkin and Huxley's work in the '40s on the squid axon, working out
the ionic basis of the action potential.

3. Katz and others' studies in the 1950s on the quantal nature of synaptic
transmission at the neuromuscular junction.

4. Mountcastle's studies on the columnar organization of somatosensory
cortex, 1957, and Hubel and Wiesel's subsequent exploration of the
organization of visual cortex.

5. Bliss and Lømo's discovery of long-term potentiation in the
hippocampus, 1973.

6. Sakmann and Neher's devolpment of the patch-clamp technique, enabling
electrophysiological study of single channel properties.

For more ideas, details, references, etc. I'd suggest you pick up an
introductory neuro textbook (e.g. Kandel, Schwartz and Jessell "Principles
of Neural Science" or Nicholls, Martin and Wallace "From Neuron to
Brain").  Or perhaps a good history of neuroscience (don't know of one
offhand).

Hannah

--
Hannah Dvorak                           |
DvorakH at starbase1.caltech.edu           |