Imaging substantia nigra in Parkinson's?

Bruce Quinn quinn at
Wed Jan 25 20:05:35 EST 1995

The general answer is that slight atrophy of the mesencephalon
might show in MR imaging, and some imaging techniques have
tried looking at iron content of the basal ganglia in PD.
More vividly, PET imaging with fluorodopa shows a dramatic loss
of dopamine terminals in the basal ganglia in PD.

(If your med library has medline, crossing Parkinson# with
imaging or MRI will pull up abstracts online for you...)

Mallory Leslie McClure (mlm2s at wrote:
: What is the proper way to image the substantia nigra in
: Parkinson's patients?  What types of lesions would show?

: Thanks,
: Mallory
: --
: Mallory L. McClure, UVa Med '97 (Brown University class of 1992)
: mlm2s at
: "From deep in my soul, I wish you happy feelings..."
:           --Frankie Beverly and Maze