Need neurobiologists help

P Mulderry mulderry at castle.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 26 07:44:28 EST 1995

smori at nmsu.edu (Shahram Mori) writes:

>Dear Neurobiologists,
>I wanted to ask your opinion on neurotropic factors (like CNTF, BDNF
>NGF used as drugs for neurological diseases. Knowing that these peptides are
>degraded intravenously and/or can't cross the BBB, what are their chances in
>effectivity? Implantation in CSF?
>Are there any people/companies on drug delivery for these factors? I would be
>interested on who you think the leaders are in neurological drug discovery.

Try these:

Neurotrophic Factors enter the clinic: Barinaga, M., Science v.264,
p.772-774
(1994)

Neurotrophic factors: from molecule to man: Lindsay, R. M., Wiegand, S.
J.,
Altar, C. A. and DiStefano, P. S., Trends in Neurosciences, v.17,
p.182-190
(1994).

Also useful:

Clinical applications of cell transplantation and neurotrophic
factors in CNS disorders: Lindvall, O. and Odin, P., Current Opinion in
Neurobiology, v.4,
p.752-757 (1994).

In vivo and ex vivo gene transfer to the brain: Fisher, L. J. and Ray,
J.,
Current Opinion in Neurobiology, v.4, p.735-741 (1994).

Also try the WWW RNeurotrophin Homepage at:
http://mab.physiol.washington.edu/nrotrphn/nthompag.html
Peter Mulderry,               e-mail: mulderry at castle.ed.ac.uk
MRC Brain Metabolism Unit            phone: (+44) 131 537 6527
Royal Edinburgh Hospital               FAX: (+44) 131 537 6110
Edinburgh, Scotland EH10 5HF.