brain and mind

Marj Tiefert marj at biosym.com
Thu Jan 26 13:13:09 EST 1995

In article <3fn7mf$3fq at strauss.udel.edu>, greggt at strauss.udel.edu (Thomas R. Gregg) writes:
|> Prat Itharat <pitharat at sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
|> That sounds like dualism.  A reductionist neuroscientist would say, "Why
|> introduce the concept of a mind?  It seems possible to explain most animal
|> behavior in terms of brain activity.  Why do our theories need something
|> controlling the brain?"

_animal_ behavior, yes. - but what about philosophy, literature, art,
poetry, etc. - things that only humans do?

|> How can we measure the "mind"?  What is the source of energy for the
|> "mind"?  Where is it located?  What is it made of, matter or energy?  If
|> energy, what kind of energy?  What is the nature of the brain/mind
|> interface?

well, if it's not an entity that _can_ be subject to scientific analysis,
if the scientific approach/mindset can_not_ know some ``things'' that
nonetheless have some real reality, that answers your questions.

|> >-=Prat=-
|> >ps)  I did not mean to offend anyone.  If I did, I am truely sorry.  I'm just
|> >trying to express what I believe in.
|>
|> Tom
|> --
|> Tom

(just a thought...)

--

Marj Tiefert, Biosym Technologies, San Diego, California,  USA
marj at biosym.com <-- this is correct, auto-reply could be wrong

I never object to a certain degree of disputatiousness in a young man
from the age of seventeen to that of four or five and twenty, provided
I find him always arguing on one side of the question.
                                          --S. T. Coleridge, 1817
   http://www.lib.virginia.edu/etext/stc/Coleridge/stc.html